New York on The Way To Its 6 Gigawatts By 2025 Solar Power Goal

Photo-illustration: Pixabay

New York’s solar growth has climbed 2.100 percent since the NY-Sun initiative was launched in 2011. The cost of solar dropped 69 percent in that same period.

Naturally, there are large global trends driving these results, but they are great for New York nonetheless. They’re also helping New York Governor Cuomo to easily approach his goal of six gigawatts (GW) of solar power by 2025 — a mandate from the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act.

New York is 95 percent there when you look at projects that have already been installed and connected to the grid as well as projects that are currently under development. Four years to add the other 5 percent doesn’t seem too hard. One of the great economic benefits is that this solar power growth has created 12.000 jobs across the state.

“Solar energy is a key component in New York’s transition to a clean energy economy as we work to reduce harmful emissions across the board and address the dual challenges of fighting climate change and rebuilding stronger post-pandemic,” Governor Cuomo said. “The success of NY-Sun demonstrates we are on track to meeting our nation-leading energy goals while stimulating green job growth and economic recovery in communities across the state as part of our comprehensive plan to reimagine New York following the pandemic.”

Easy comments for the governor to make. Clearly, he has the whole global solar market and also policies around the world to thank for enabling the solar cost drops and more mature solar ecosystem. Though, New York also does deserve some love for its efforts and policies. Six gigawatts (or even 3 GW) of solar power are more than most countries have installed.

Source: Clean Technica